Skip to content

Services and Study Oppotunities for Refugees

Welcome to South Westphalia!

The South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences welcomes refugees to Germany and supports their start in our region.

This page gives you an overview of the current educational services offered by the South Westphalia University and explains how you can participate.

Offer for guest students at the South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences

If you would like to familiarise with the environment and teaching activities at the South Westphalia University for the time being, you are welcome to apply as a guest student. The guest student status is free of charge for you. You can find further information here.

Language Courses at the South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences

As it is important to have German language skills in order to begin or continue studying in Germany, the South Westphalia University offers refugees various options to help them during their start at the university:

German language courses

The South Westphalia University offers preparatory German language courses for refugees and international students who wish to study in Germany. These courses are funded by the Ministry of Culture and Science of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia. The University of Applied Sciences supports German courses at language levels B1 to C2. The courses for 2024 can be found below.

Course contents

The language courses designed for academic purposes serve to prepare students for the TELC examination. The respective language exam can be taken after completion of the language course.

Course duration

3 months (B1 and B2) or 5 months (C1 and C2). The courses are 24 hours a week and take place daily, from Monday to Friday.


From 2024, the German courses will take place in hybrid. One part of the course takes place online, the other part of the course takes place in presence at one of our locations. On-site participation must be ensured.


The language courses are free of charge for participants. Only the fee for the final examination must be paid by the participants.

  • Proof of refugee status respectively the international ID
  • Eligibility to study ( A-levels or studies in the home country)
  • Counselling consultation with one of the contact persons listed below at the respective campus of the South Westphalia University
  • German language skills, depending on the level of the language course offered (for B2 courses proof of B1, for C1 courses proof of B2 etc.). If you do not have a certificate for the required language level, an online language placement test can be taken.

Language courses 2024
  • B2: 08.01.-12.04. at the location Hagen
  • C1: 08.01.-07.06.2024 at the location Soest
  • C2: 08.07.-13.12.2024 at the location Soest
  • B1: 02.09.-06.12.2024 at the location Hagen

If you are interested, please contact us by phone or email. You will find contact details at the bottom of this page.

Degree courses at the South Westphalia University

Information on the ahe degree courses and requirements, as well as language requirements at the South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences.

Application Procedure

Information on the application procedure at the South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences

Financial support

If you meet certain requirements, you can apply for a "BAföG" education grant for your studies. You can find the requirements here.

Please contact the Studierendenwerk Dortmund to find out whether this is an option for you.

The Otto Benecke Foundation provides further educational advice on the funding programme for young immigrants and the Higher Education Guarantee Fund.

You can find information regarding scholarships for refugees here.

Scholarships for refugees

NRWege ins Studium – Integration of refugees at universities in North Rhine-Westphalia established in 2023.

You can find further information here.

Anna-Marie Wahle (Dezern. 4)


Frauenstuhlweg 31
58644 Iserlohn
Room: H.117

Postal address

Postfach 2061
58590 Iserlohn