A) Are you equal to German citizens? Then use the online procedure of the South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences
Applicants from EU countries and applicants with equal status to German citizens can apply for admission at the South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences via the
online application procedure.
Overview: What does "equal to German citizens" mean?
You are considered equal to German citizens if you meet one of the following requirements.
- European HZB = European higher education entrance qualification, European Bachelor's degree (not: Master's degree!)
- Applicants from EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway
- The applicant lives in Germany and has family members with EU citizenship. This family member must work or have worked in Germany.
Family members in this sense are:
- Registered partners
- Parents of the spouse/registered partner, if they provide financial support for the applicant
- Children, if they are financially supporting the applicant
- Children of the spouse/registered partner, if they are financially supporting the applicant
In more detail: The following foreign nationals and stateless persons are treated equally to German applicants in the admission procedure
- Foreign nationals or stateless persons who have acquired a German higher education entrance qualification (Abitur or Fachhochschulreife), even if it is a German school abroad, provided the higher education entrance qualification was acquired in accordance with German law.
- Citizens of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.
- Applicants resident in the Federal Republic of Germany whose parents are citizens of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway and who work or have worked in Germany.
- Persons resident in the Federal Republic of Germany whose spouse or registered partner is a national of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway and works or has worked in Germany.
- Persons resident in the Federal Republic of Germany, provided that the parents of the spouse or registered partner are nationals of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway and work or have worked in Germany and are financially supported by them.
- Persons resident in the Federal Republic of Germany whose children are nationals of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway and work or have worked in Germany and who are dependent on them.
- Persons resident in the Federal Republic of Germany, provided that the children of the spouse or registered partner are nationals of an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway and are working or have worked in Germany and are supported by them.
B) Are you not equal to German citizens? Then please apply via uni-assist
International applicants from non-EU countries apply via uni-assist.
First of all, please register at
uni-assist. You can then access the uni-assist online forms via the
Here you can fill in the standard application form for your application and save it permanently for later use. Generate a PDF of the completed application form and print it for your records. For processing, you must submit the application electronically to uni-assist.
Once applications have been processed by uni-assist, they cannot be changed electronically. However, you can inform uni-assist of possible changes by email until the end of the application period. You can find the contact details
Submitting documents by postal mail
Please send your application documents in the required form to the following address:
c/o uni-assist e.V.
Please note that uni-assist only requires these documents once, even if you are applying at two or more uni-assist universities.
All documents and any applicable fees must be received by uni-assist before the end of the application period. If possible, you should pay your
application fee on the day you submit your application. Incomplete applications cannot be processed by uni-assist. If you still have questions when completing your application for South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences, you will get more information
Due to exceptional regulations caused by the corona pandemic, it is initially sufficient for the application for the winter semester 2021/2022 to upload the required documents at uni-assist. We reserve the right to randomly check your original documents. Therefore, please be sure to bring the original documents with you to Germany. If you are unable to present the original documents or if we determine that forgeries have been uploaded, we reserve the right to exmatriculate you immediately.
Please note: The complete application fee must be received by uni-assist. Therefore, you will have to pay transfer fees charged by your bank in addition.
If you meet the formal requirements for an application, uni-assist will forward your application to the South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences. You will then receive a letter of acceptance or rejection with further information. Please note: If you are applying for a Master's study course, it will take a few weeks for the notification to be issued, as the faculty first has to check the content-related requirements. If you do not meet the formal requirements, uni-assist will inform you accordingly. Uni-assist will store your application documents until the end of the year following the receipt of your documents. After that, your documents will be deleted. If you re-apply within this time, you only need to re-upload the application form and submit any missing documents. Data in electronic form will be stored for four years. During this time, it will only be made available to uni-assist itself and to the universities you have chosen. After that, the data will be deleted.